Given the opportunity and choice, more and more patients are
choosing white dental fillings, even though they are more expensive
than traditional amalgam fillings. The key reasons for this are, some
view the mercury in amalgam as potentially harmful, but for most white
dental fillings are more aesthetic and natural looking.
Composite dental fillings are made from powdered glass quartz, silica or other ceramic particles added to a resin base. The dentist will choose a composite shade to match your existing teeth, after the tooth is prepared; the dental filling is then bonded onto the area and then set with a light.
Why choose white composite fillings?
* Composite fillings restore the natural appearance of the tooth.
* Although composite fillings may not be as hard wearing as amalgam fillings, today’s composite fillings can easily withstand the stress applied when placed in a back tooth.
* Composite fillings are bonded to the tooth, restoring most of the tooth’s original strength.
* Teeth restored with white composite fillings are often less sensitive to hot and cold than teeth restored with amalgam.
* Composites fillings are mercury-free.
* Composite fillings often require less removal of tooth structure, especially with new cavities.
Smile Canada creates a positive image for dentistry and serves as a gentle reminder to visit a dentist regularly. The website is also a beautifully done extension of the TV ads!